We hear a lot about how to build successful crowdfunding campaigns. But, what we don’t hear a lot about is what to do after your campaign. In this chat with Netta Shalgi of G-RO, Khierstyn investigates the importance of understanding how to maintain momentum beyond your crowdfunding campaign. Netta explains that crowdfunding isn’t just a product launch; it’s also the creation of an online business. Dubbed by Khierstyn as “The James Bond of Luggage”, Netta headed a hugely successful Kickstarter campaign for his business G-RO. Along with his co-founder, Netta was able to launch a unique, innovative product, which saw huge success in gaining backers. This conversation is filled with practical tips that can transform your next campaign.
Netta Shalgi approached crowdfunding with an eye on the future.
Netta Shalgi and his partner approached crowdfunding with great care, paying attention to every detail along the way. They understood the value of refining the product before launch and ensuring that they were offering something that backers would love. The pre-launch process was lengthy – with many months of preparation. Netta explains the role of PR companies as they moved towards product launch and how this paved the way for a fast start. After meeting their original goal in a mere few hours, it’s clear G-RO was well-received by backers. Netta shares with us how they made sure they would launch with a bang.
From marketing to planning – every detail must be attended to.
Netta shares with Khierstyn one of the most important aspects of his campaign – being prepared for anything. Before they even considered starting the campaign, they knew they had to have a fully functional product with every kink worked out beforehand. This was an integral component of finding footing early in the campaign. From PR to marketing efforts, the G-RO reached out to friends, family, and their extended network to spread the word about the product pre-launch. This helped them gain a significant amount of referral traffic in the early days, which made a big impact on the early success they saw.
Why G-RO chose a 60-day campaign versus a 30-day campaign.
As the start date of the campaign grew closer, Netta wanted to make sure they did everything right. The team considered a 30-day versus a 60-day campaign, landing on the latter because they felt it was the right choice for the product. Early momentum ensured success, but maintaining that momentum would be a greater challenge. Netta shares a “secret” to his success: revealing new sides of the project throughout the campaign. This helped them keep backers interested, and attracted new backers as the project moved forward. In retrospect, Netta says he would be more diligent about setting stretch goals to improve the project, but overall the G-RO campaign is certainly a success.
What comes after a successful crowdfunding campaign?
Netta Shalgi shared many useful tips and tricks to help fellow crowdfunders launch with confidence. With over 7000 backers to date, G-RO is poised to move to the next stage at the top of its game. Netta shares with Khierstyn some tips on what comes after crowdfunding, offering ideas that can take any business to the next level. This episode is filled with inspiration on how to prepare for and manage a hugely successful crowdfunding campaign. Netta Shalgi gives us a new perspective on how to approach crowdfunding with long-term goals in mind. If you’re ready to think beyond crowdfunding, you don’t want to miss this week’s episode.
OUTLINE OF THIS EPISODE:
- [0:51] Khierstyn’s introduction of Netta Shalgi, who is a successful crowdfunder and business owner.
- [3:11] Understanding who Netta Shalgi is and how this project came about.
- [5:16] The timeline from teaming up with co-founder of G-RO to today.
- [6:25] What did G-RO look before meeting the co-founder and moving forward?
- [9:03] Explaining how far along the project was before going to Kickstarter.
- [10:50] The delivery deadline for the campaign.
- [12:21] Did they have any funding before going to Kickstarter?
- [14:37] How they gained momentum instantly and hit their original goal in just a few hours.
- [20:08] The role of PR in a successful crowdfunding campaign.
- [21:19] Other marketing techniques that support a successful campaign.
- [23:20] The role of organic traffic in gaining backers.
- [27:14] The number of backers G-RO has to date and why it’s important to maintain momentum.
- [28:17] The #1 thing Netta did to maintain momentum throughout the campaign.
- [31:38] Why they chose a 60-day campaign versus a 30-day campaign.
- [33:30] The #1 thing he would change if he could re-do this campaign.
- [38:27] What is next for G-RO?